Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Little Pep Talk

Some days we just need to give ourselves a little pep talk.  We need to talk ourselves up to accomplish that task that seems to daunting--or talk ourselves down from that metaphorical ledge that seems so very inviting.  We all have those days when we want to scream and pull our hair out, and we think:  why am I doing this!  Days when our dreams seem way too big to accomplish. 

Today is one of those days for me.

Some people know that I'm writing a book.  Writing has been my favorite way to express myself since I was old enough to put pen to paper--though these days it's more like fingers to computer keys.  I've written poetry and short stories my entire life.  I even enjoyed writing papers for assignments in school (yes, I'm that person). 

It's been a few months since I've actually sat down and written anything related to my book.  Between the holidays and Michael joining the Air Force, I just haven't made the time.  Other than this blog, I haven't put any of my thoughts on paper for almost four months. 

So today I sat down and began re-reading what I've written so far...which is about half of what I expect the book will end up being.  Each page I read brought me both elation and self-doubt.  Elation because after all these months, I still feel that I am telling a story that people will enjoy, and I'm doing it well.  But then the self-doubt kicks in, and I can't help thinking that although I think it's good, it may not be good enough

There are so many people out there trying to accomplish the same thing as me.  We all work hard, pouring ourselves into something that we hope others will enjoy just as much as we do.  But not everyone gets to see that dream realized, and all the bureaucracy that goes along with getting a book published is beyond daunting. 

In no way do I expect to write the next "American novel" that sells millions of copies and changes the world.  Excluding Stephenie Meyer and J.K. Rowling, most writers of paranormal/fantasy fiction don't make that large of an impact on the world.  Anyway, that's not really my goal. 

My goal is to tell a story captivating enough to keep the reader turning the page.  My goal is to bring people happiness through the escape a book brings.  All I want is to be given the chance to do so.

Which brings me back to my pep talk.  Even though my goal is to write a book that will eventually get published, I am writing this book more for myself than anyone else.  I want to prove to myself that I can do this.  To achieve that dream that I've had since I was a little girl:  becoming an author. 

But the self-doubt and the bureaucracy of the book-writing business is sometimes so overwhelming that I barely have it in me to write a single sentence.  I stare at the computer screen...and nothing happens. I have a million ideas zooming around in my brain, but I'm almost too afraid to write them down. The perfectionist in me rears it's ugly head, and makes the task of writing even one page a very cumbersome task.

And then...I open my blog and write my thoughts for those with the patience to read them.  And I remember.  I remember that writing is something I love, something I know deep down that I'm good at.  No matter if I sell a million copies or never get published, I will be safe in the realization that I took the time to do something that I love.  If it makes me feel good--gives my life meaning--then there is nothing better in the entire world.

No comments:

Post a Comment