Friday, July 23, 2010

Just Checking In

I know, I know.  My blogging has been pretty scarce lately.  Between getting our new house (yeah!), unpacking and then driving back home for my sister's wedding this weekend, life has been beyond hectic.  It's been a complete whirlwind.

So we got our house on base on Monday.  I have to say, it's growing on me.  I wasn't thrilled with living in a duplex after owning our own home for the past couple of years, but there are a lot of things I really like about it.  Like the fact that it's only one story so Evie can play in her bedroom during the day and not clutter the living room with all her stuff.  Well, too much of her stuff anyway.

I also love the beautiful hardwood floors and the privacy-fenced backyard.  I love that I have the time and resources to make our house look more like a home.  I can't wait to get back after the weekend and starting decorating!

We've only lived in Kansas for two weeks, but Michael and I are already certain we'll like it here.  Although the city is big and has a lot of resources that make living in a big city appealing, it's still very mid-western and easy to navigate.  It's familiar because a lot of the city's amenities are the same as we have back in Wisconsin, but there are enough different things to make it exciting.

We also like the base so far.  I think for a first duty station, McConnell worked out well for us.  The base isn't very large so it's easy to find everything.  For me--the worse navigator ever--this is a huge plus.  I'm disappointed in the small selection at the base library, but this just means I'll have to check out more of Wichita to find a better one.  The base gym offers free classes which will hopefully motivate me to get my butt in there!

We've also met some great people already and retained a few friends.  It worked out well that two of Michael's friends from Tech School were stationed with him because it helped us both feel less isolated right away.  I met an awesome spouse who has a daughter for Evie to play with which has helped make the days fly by.  Her living only a house away was fate, I think.

I promise once things start settling down a tiny bit, I'll be blogging regularly again--and do more than just post pictures!  Though I will be blogging around my sister's wedding and sharing pictures of our furnished house soon!

PS: How much do you love the new look of my blog?  I'm getting craftier!

No comments:

Post a Comment