Friday, September 3, 2010

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In

1. What is a weird/funny superstition that you have? (from A{muse}ing Mommy on a Pink Park Bench)
I'm not really a superstitious person by nature.  I fancy myself an optimistic realist so I don't put much credence in superstitions.  But I do still hold my breath whenever passing a graveyard.  I don't think I actually believe I'll breathe in anyone's soul, but since hearing that superstition when I was younger, I haven't been able to shake it.   

2.What are your hopes and dreams for the years AFTER the military? After all, we aren’t in it forever! (from Stetsons, Spurs and Stilettos) 
That is so hard to imagine since I'm crossing my fingers "after military" won't be for another twenty years. Who knows what will happen in that time. But I am hoping we retire somewhere warm if we don't go back home to Wisconsin.  I hope that I'm an accomplished writer who can relax on a beach while writing my latest novel.  I hope that Michael can open his own mechanic shop if he still wishes to do so.   
 
3.Since [this] month is National Apple Month (no really!), I’d probably ask: What is your yummiest apple recipe? (from NH Girl Displaced) 
I think the only apple recipe I have is for apple crisp.  But I've misplaced it at the moment so I can't share!
 
4.How long have you gone as a military spouse without talking to your husband/wife during service? (from A Navy Princess and Her Little Sailors) 
So far, the longest I've gone without talking to him is a couple of weeks.  When he was at BMT, he was fortunate to get to call me almost once a week, even if it was only for a few minutes. 
 
5. I occasionally watch When I was 17… on MTV. So, what was something that was significant about your 17th year of life? (from Ashley Amazing)
Strangely, I was just thinking about this very event this morning.  When I was 17, my brother deployed with the Army to Iraq for the first time.  It was a hard year for me in a lot of ways.  I resented my brother for enlisting because I was so terrified for him. I was afraid to answer the phone or door if I was home alone because I didn't know how they would notify us if something were ever to have happened.  Every time they called names over the sound system at school or someone came to a classroom to deliver a message, I was afraid.  I never watched the news; I hated to hear anything about the war at all.  My 17 year old self would never believe that seven years later, I stand proudly by the side of my Airman.  Because seven years ago, I told that boy that I could never marry someone in the military, that I could never fear for two such important men in my life at the same time.  It is remarkable how our views change, how much we mature over such a short span of time.  How I am now able to push that terror aside because I realize that being proud and humble and supportive are much more conducive to the life I wish I lead.

2 comments:

  1. Yum, apple crisp is so good. I've made that a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its one of my favorite things about fall! yum!

    ReplyDelete