Friday, August 12, 2011

MilSpouse Friday Fill-In

I'm counting down the days until Michael gets home.  It's days people.  A small amount of days.  I'm sort of tweaking because I'm so freaking excited.  I hate wishing away time, but I just want these next few days to go by quickly! So in order to help me pass the time, I participated in Wifey's Military Spouse Friday Fill-in again this week.  Enjoy!


1. The best thing my parents taught me to do when I was a child was _________________. 
To be my own person.  Even though I often felt like my parents were unnecessarily strict a lot of the time, I realize now that they always let me be me.  My parents were both big into sports in high school, but when I'd rather take classes in summer school than go out for softball, they didn't pressure me.  I never felt like I had to be something I wasn't in order to please them, and I know that can be a rare thing.  As a parent, I know you have expectations of what you want your children to be, but I hope I can do just a good a job as my parents at letting Evie be who she is, rather than who I think she should be. 

2. However, one thing I wish they did differently was _________________. 
My childhood was a good one, so there really isn't much I would change.  Although they did a great job of letting me be me, I do wish my independence hadn't been stifled for as long as it was.  I'm not even sure if independence is the right word.  But I'm an opinionated person, and am absolutely not a blind follower.  I don't do something just because I'm told.  I want a reason or an explanation for why things can't go as I would like them.  Evie is pretty much a carbon copy of myself, and I notice this quality within her already.  I hope I can find a better balance than my parents did at being the in-charge parent and letting her make her own choices.

3. One thing I’ve always wanted to try but haven’t is _________________. 
Traveling.  Does that count?  I've never been anywhere.  Only in the last year and a half have I even been outside of the Midwest.  I want to visit every state and as many countries as I can before I die.  I want to stand in buildings that are older than I can even fathom.  I want to visit museums and look at treasures from around the world.  There is so much of the world that I haven't seen and can't even really imagine until I've been there.  Please, Air Force, have pity on me.  And send us Overseas!!! :)

4. One thing I never thought I’d try but I have is _________________.  
Writing a novel. Like, a real novel.  That I want to publish someday.  I've always loved writing, and I've dabbled with short stories and poetry here and there.  But because I love novels so much, writers are all on this huge pedestal to me.  They are like, superstars.  So it's hard imagining myself reaching for that pedestal for myself.  It's a weird feeling.  But at the same time, very exhilarating.  Now I need to finish the darn thing.

5. If I could give my 16-year-old self one piece of advice I’d tell myself_______________.
I'd tell myself that high school doesn't last so don't worry about those four years so much.  The person you are in high school won't be the same people you are ten years, or even five years later.  Enjoy the moments, but they really aren't "the best years of your life."  That's such a stupid thing that we tell high schoolers.  I wish I wouldn't have been so afraid to be me.

2 comments:

  1. I like this.

    I'm also allowing my kids to be their own person. I don't make them do certain sports unless they ask.

    ReplyDelete