Sunday, June 13, 2010

It's Complicated: A Review

(Please be advised that movie spoilers may be present in this post!)

It's Complicated,

I watched this movie with my close friend Mandie the other night, and I have to say, I was more than pleasantly surprised.  It features a star-studded cast (Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin) so I knew it wouldn't completely suck, but by now you know how I feel about romantic comedies.  We have a love/hate relationship.

Unlike the romantic comedies that I don't love, It's Complicated was very realistic.  It portrayed real-life:  the messiness of love and divorce and dating.  The title says it all.  It's complicated.  Nothing about love is black and white:  there are always gray areas.

Throughout most of the movie, I wasn't sure which male to root for.  That rarely happens.  Usually you know within the first few minutes who the "good guys" and "bad guys" are.

Did I want Jane to fall back in love with her ex-husband Jake


or with the sweet architect, Adam?

 

I just didn't know.  Decisions in life are never clear cut.  If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

But Mandie made a very wise observation that the writers of the movie must have also made.  In life, you can't go backwards.  Life is about new beginnings and taking leaps of faith and trying new things.  It isn't about rehashing the things that didn't work out as planned. 

With that piece of advice, I'm happy with how the movie ended.  It was logical and realistic.  The cast was great, there was plenty of comedic relief, and though I could have done without seeing Alec Baldwin's bare butt, it was a movie I'd love to see again.

1 comment: