Monday, March 21, 2011

Confusing Disney Trend

Have you ever noticed that in most Disney movies, the main character is either an orphan or only has one parent?  What is up with that?

We watch a lot of Disney movies around here because a) we have a three year old  b) we are both kids at heart and love animated films and c) Michael never saw most of them growing up so I'm trying to educate him on all things Disney.

While watching these movies, I started to notice a trend. When I sat down and really thought about it, I was astounded that I had never picked up on it before.  It's prevalent in Disney princess movies, but is present elsewhere also.

Cinderella and Snow White only have step-mothers.  Jasmine, Belle, Ariel, Pocahontas, Bambi, Mulan and Pinocchio have only their fathers.  Tatiana, Simba, Andy, and Thumbelina have only their mothers.    Sleeping Beauty and Rapunzel still has both parents, but they were forced to live somewhere else growing up without them. Anastasia and Lilo are both orphans. 

Sometimes the parent dies towards the beginning of the movie which I especially hate.  I think it's important that children learn about death, but I loath when movies make me cry.  Especially movies made for children--I feel like a big baby when that happens.

I know life isn't all rainbows and puppies, but why can't Disney characters grow up within a nuclear family once in awhile?  Families these days are varied and diverse, that's true, but unless their is a parent-related pandemic out there, I don't think this accurately reflects our society.

This may be the most random post on the planet, but I'm just stumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment