Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My New Hobby

For most of my life, if I wanted to be creative, I did so with words.  I wrote poetry and short stories and of course, this blog.  But over the past year, I've been trying out my creativity in different ways too.  I've picked up sewing, dove back into embroidery, and have tried my hand at yarn wreaths.

My new hobby?  Crocheting.

It is addicting.  And so very satisfying.  My first attempt--a scarf for Evie--didn't turn out so well.  I kept forgetting to count my stitches so the lines weren't at all even, and it was just an utter disaster.  But I refused to give up, so I tried a somewhat simpler pattern for a hat.  I think it turned out pretty cute.


Then I crocheted a flower to adorn it.  It was exactly what the hat needed.  Now it looks fabulous, if I do say so myself.  Because I'm super humble like that.



It's a good thing Christmas is right around the corner so I have an excuse to create a bunch of things.  My goal is to make most if not all our of Christmas gifts this year.  Personalized gifts made from the heart are always more fun than something mass-produced in the stores anyway.

For step-by-step instructions on how to make your own "darling hat" or "slinky flower", check out Crochet Geek's Youtube channel.  She makes it so easy to follow along, even for a complete novice like me.  She even has videos teaching you all the basic stitches you will need for her huge assortment of patterns. Someday I may even attempt her Angry Bird hat tutorial! 

2 comments:

  1. ah! I love crocheting too, it is SO addicting and easy to do while you're watching a movie, etc. And congrats on the "homemade pledge". I'm doing that this Christmas too to save money. One of the easiest things everybody loves is to buy a kitchen towel at the dollar store, cut it in half, and crochet a "towel topper" on it that can be buttoned around the stove door handle. Easy, cheap, and practical! Good luck with your crocheting =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally attempted crocheting & movie watching tonight & it didn't go half bad! lol. It takes some dedication at first, but now I don't even have to look half the time. Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete