Monday, June 25, 2012

Checking Things Off the List

I'm only 19 weeks pregnant and already getting antsy for Baby Girl to get here!  I'm a planner, and I like to get details hammered out well ahead of time so that everything runs smoothly.  Not always the easiest thing to do as a parent, but I try my best.  I've checked a lot off my list this past week though, and it's making me so giddy in anticipation.  I can't wait for November!

One of the things we've accomplished is deciding on her name.  Baby Girl 2.0 is now officially Juliet Elizabeth!  Romantic, isn't it?  Juliet has been on my list for a long time, but Michael never loved it.  But after finding out Baby 2.0 was in fact a girl, he didn't have a choice but to really give all the names I liked some real consideration.  He changed his mind about a half dozen times until we both finally decided Juliet was the perfect name.

We chose Elizabeth because three of my bridesmaids--two of which are cousins and the other my best friend since childhood--have either Elizabeth or Eliza as their middle names.  We wanted the middle name to have meaning, and what better way than to honor three of my favorite ladies?  We also really love the name Elizabeth, and had given it serious consideration as a first name.  If it wasn't so ridiculously high on the popularity list, it would have been a done deal.  Thankfully, we were still able to use it, and if someday Juliet wants more options for nicknames, Elizabeth gives her plenty.

I've also been organizing baby stuff!  When we moved into our new house a few weeks ago, we left all the totes of toys and clothes outgrown by Evie in the garage.  If Baby 2.0 was a boy, we would have sold all the clothes and gone through the toys to take out all the girly ones without having to bring everything in the house.  But since Baby is in fact a girl (Yay! I still get so excited when I think about it!), we were able to finally put everything away.  We tucked a lot of it in a storage closet, but everything that will be used within the first year was left out. You can imagine all the fun I've been having, going through baby clothes and toys!

I don't know how many of you have opened boxes or totes of used baby clothes years later and found horrible yellow stains all over previously clean clothes, but unfortunately this was the case for us.  Not so unfortunately, I had already pinned a link on my Pinterest board (the most addicting site in the world!) on how to get rid of those horrible stains.  And the tips worked!

Basically, you just add two scoops of Oxiclean and a little detergent to your washing machine, let the soiled clothes agitate in the wash for about five minutes, and then let them soak overnight.  In the morning I added about a half cup of white vinegar to the liquid fabric softener part of my washing machine, and then ran the wash.  Almost every stain vanished!  What few clothes hadn't come clean, I just re-wet so they were quite damp and set out in the sun for a couple of hours.  If you didn't already know this, sun is about the best stain remover there is.  Every last stain was gone after only two hours!  A-freaking-mazing.  All those previously awful looking clothes look brand new.  And I am not exaggerating when I say that some of them were so awful I had considered just throwing them away.  Evie spit up a lot those first few months. 

I've accomplished quiet a bit these past few days!  And that isn't even all of it.  We've gotten Juliet's nursery almost all planned out, but that's a whole post in and of itself.  And I've been researching something that's making me feel like a very "crunchy" momma, but that's another whole post too.  Make sure to check back soon--I have so much to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment