Monday, September 20, 2010

Easy A: A review

*****PLEASE BE ADVISED, SPOILERS MAY BE PRESENT BELOW*****

Can I just say, awesome?  Truly, awesome.  Laugh-out-loud hilarious.

That would be "Easy A" (staring Emma Stone) in a nutshell.  I think I'm starting to get a little too old to enjoy most movies that revolve around high-schoolers and their melodrama, but Easy A did not disappoint.

With one little overheard lie to her best friend, Emma Stone's character Olive becomes the topic of discussion around school.  Soon the nobody became somebody, if only because she was known as the class slut.  Too bad she was still a virgin.

I love how the classic novel The Scarlet Letter was incorporated in the movie.  Seeing as how I'm a book addict, that only makes sense I suppose.  I read the book when I was in high school too so I understood all the subtle connections between book and movie.  Glad to know school was good for something.  Ha.

Pretty much all coming-of-age movies have some moral they are trying to convey, and Easy A was no different.  But it was done with so minimal amount of cheesiness that I don't think I rolled my eyes once.  And throughout the movie, as Olive narrated the story, she made fun of any cheesiness that was present. 

You'd think by the storyline of the movie that not being promiscuous is the moral that's being conveyed.  But I think it's more that honesty is the best policy and that it's okay to make fun of yourself.  The rumor mill can kill your reputation, but that's if you help fuel it or never do anything to stop it.  Olive did both which made for an interesting plot line.

Can I just finish by saying how fantastic Emma Stone is?  She's a fresh face in movies right now, and I'm loving it.  She's about the only reason I can stand the movie Super Bad.  Emma's got a vibrancy and corkiness that sets her apart from her peers.  It's refreshing.

So I'll end my review by saying that "Easy A" got an easy A from me (bahaha).  Run out and see it!

1 comment: